#NO. 46 VALLEJO FLOUR MILL
Updated: 1 day ago
The ruins of the Vallejo Mill
In 1853, Jose de Jesus Vallejo built a flour mill on the west end of what is now known as Niles Canyon. The spot was part of his large property, the Rancho Arroyo de la Alameda, which Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado had granted him in 1842. Today, only the stone foundation of the mill remains and is protected as California State Historical Landmark No. 46.
Jose Vallejo was the older brother of General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, a prominent leader in the days of Mexican control over California who helped usher it to statehood following the Mexican-American War by attending the state Constitutional Convention and serving in the State Senate.
Maps from the later 1800s mark the area as "Vallejo's Mill." The stone aqueduct Vallejo used to siphon water from the nearby Alameda Creek once ran parallel to Niles Canyon Road, today also known as California State Highway 84.